Holdem poker strategy is different in its two formats, limit and non-limit. They also vary according to the playing skills of different players. Holdem poker strategy is implemented differently by different players.
Holdem Poker Strategy: Ranks of Hands
Before learning the holdem poker strategy, it is super impotant to understand hands ranks from top to bottom:
- Royal flush: AKQJ10 of the same suit
- Straight flush: A2345, consecutive numbers from the same suit
- Quads: KKKK5, four cards of the same rank
- Full house: 77722, triplet of one rank and pair of another rank
- Flush: K9753, five non-consecutive cards of the same suit
- Straight: 5432A, five cards in sequence but not from the same suit
- Three of a kind: 22269, three cards of same rank
- Two pair: 44229, 2 pairs of the same rank cards, the remaining card acts as a kicker
- One pair: 55623, 2 cards of the same rank and three kickers
- High card: KJ532, if the hand does not qualify for any of the above mentioned, then the cards are arranged in terms of their precedence.
Holdem Poker Strategy: Different Playing Styles
Poker players have different styles of behavior while playing the game. This defines individual holdem poker strategy for each player.
The four classifications of holdem poker strategy are:
- Tight-aggressive: These players bet higher bets and raise the money when they possess good hand. Although, they fold much too easily on a dry day.
- Loose-aggressive: These people are real poker freaks. They play every hand irrespective of the risks involved. They also bet and raise frequently.
- Tight-passive: As defensive players, they engage in few hands in a low-stake game.
- Loose-passive: This holdem poker strategy is also called as ‘calling station’. Such players engage in a variety of starting hands but will not raise in later hands.
Holdem Poker Strategy: General Tips
The following tips on holdem poker strategy are meant for beginners, amateur and medium-range players:
- If you do not possess good starting hand, fold immediately.
- If you have a good starting hand, raise the bet accordingly.
- Evaluate your winning odds after flop, turn and river, and fold before you lose.
- Seating on the last position is an added advantage in holdem poker strategy.
- Learn math equations to calculate odds. This way, you can avoid exposing your money to high risks.
Texas Poker strategies require both analytical and practical skills to be implemented in a way that makes you win the game. Although no holdem poker strategy can guarantee a jackpot, practicing them is essential to remain safe from risk.